The Technical Diver Level 1 (Tech 1) course is structured to prepare divers for the rigors of technical diving and to familiarize them with the use of different breathing and decompression mixtures. Tech 1 training focuses on expanding the fundamental skills learned in the GUE Fundamentals course (or elsewhere), and is designed to cultivate, integrate, and expand the essential skills required for safe technical diving. This will include problem identification and resolution, and building the capacity for progressively more challenging diving. In this class, students will be trained in: a) the use of double tanks/cylinders and in the potential failure problems associated with them; b) the use of Nitrox for accelerated and general decompression strategies; c) the use of Helium to minimize narcosis; and d) the applications of single decompression stage diving with respect to decompression procedures.
The class will focus on enriched air and Helitrox (Helium enriched gas), as flexible and beneficial breathing gases for dives in the 40 foot/12 meter to 150 foot/45 meter depth range, and provides an excellent foundation on which divers can build their technical diving experience and prepare for NAUI’s Technical Diver 2 course (Tech 2).
The course will consist of three classroom sessions and a minimum of 15 open water dives. Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a NAUI Advanced Nitrox, Staged Decompression and Helitrox certification and may engage in decompression diving activities utilizing nitrox or helitrox with nitrox decompression to a maximum depth of 150 feet.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Must be GUE Fundamentals qualified
- Be a certified Nitrox diver with at least 100 logged dives
- Must be able to swim 400 yards in less then 14 minutes without stopping
- Must be able swim a distance of at least 50’ on a breath hold
- Must be a non-smoker
- NAUI Technical EANx, Decompression Techniques & Extended Range Manual
- Physics, Physiology and Decompression Theory for the Technical and Commercial Diver
- Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving
- Cave Diving Communications Manual
- OceanX Calculator
- Technical Diver Log Pages
- US Navy Dive Table
- Wet Notes
classroom, open water dives and certification cards
(Tank rental and gas fills extra)