Congratulations on deciding to become a PADI Scuba Instructor or Assistant Instructor! Successful completion of this program allows you to share your passion for scuba diving with others and introduce them to the beautiful underwater world!
The Instructor Development Course (IDC) followed by the successful completion of a PADI Instructor Examination (IE) is your first step to being awarded the prestigious rating of Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI). Candidates for this rating receive training in PADI standards, procedures, philosophies and teaching methods. They are evaluated in the areas of practical teaching ability, watermanship, diving knowledge, attitude and professionalism. As a PADI Assistant Instructor, you have gained the basic knowledge of the PADI teaching philosophy. As an OWSI candidate, you will complete your training in the PADI Instructional System, and be eligible to take the PADI Instructor Examination.
- The IDC is composed of 10 staff presentations and 5 candidate presentations (2 classroom, 2 confined water, and 1 open water).
- Your individual skills will be evaluated on watermanship, rescue and diving skills.
- You will attend several classroom sessions to increase your knowledge in all areas of scuba, and effectively coordinate class, pool and open water sessions.
- Once you have completed the IDC you will be ready to attend the IE.
The Prerequisites for the OWSI program:
- PADI Divemaster or equivalent
- 18 years of age or older
- Physician approved medical clearance
- Certified diver for at least 6 months
- Proof of CPR training in the last 24 months
- Minimum 60 logged dives showing experience in night and navigation to enroll * Must have 100 logged dives prior to the PADI Instructor Exam
- An EFR Instructor rating prior to the PADI Instructor Exam
- All training in the classroom, pool & open water
- Homestead Crater/Blue Hole Fees
- Local Open Water Park Fees
- PADI IE Fees
- PADI ELearning (if applicable)
Ask a Flatirons Scuba staff member today how to get started and organize a meeting with our Course Director. Or, feel free to send an email to email@example.com with any questions you may have.
Questions about the Instructor Program email: FlatironsScubaCourseDirector@gmail.com
- OWSI Course ONLY (if already an AI) $700
- Entire IDC Course, including AI $1100 + PADI Materials $620 + PADI IDC ELearning $366